So I pulled over and, as instructed, pumped a bit of air back in before spinning the tyre to get the Slime in the right place. I say pumped like it was straight-forward activity but I'd not used this pump before and it had me baffled for a stressful moment or two! Once the tyre was about hard enough, I packed away and headed off to the station. I arrived there with two minutes to spare before the train pulled out. Phew!
So one or two lessons learned then:
- Always leave a bit of time spare when heading to catch a train
- Make sure you've tested out how to use your bike pump before you actually need to!
- Slime works! I'd have missed my train if I'd tried to patch or replace the innertube at the roadside
After tea I whipped the back wheel out (not the chore I'd been led to believe that it was on hub-geared bikes) and found a neat little hole punched in the innertube. I also found the corresponding hole in the tyre itself although nothing was stuck in it - a "straight in and out" job. So I duly repaired the puncture with the "help" of my very eager but equally vocal four year-old apprentice. Still, she knows the difference between a nut, bolt and washer now and how to locate a puncture - she's coming along nicely!
So the Dahon's ready to go in the morning - fingers crossed for a less eventful journey!